Office / Swivel Chairs

Started by Art Blade, May 19, 2013, 04:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

I simply had enough of my old chair.

I spend quite a bit of time in it when gaming or generally using my PC. So I wanted a "proper" chair that supports me ergonomically and makes me feel good. I gave it quite some time, thought and, knowing that quality comes at a price, money.

One of my requirements is: "no bloody castors," as I don't want to roll away from my desk when kicking down the brake pedal hard while playing racing games.  :-D So they replaced those castors with gliders, basically like a cork that locks the chair in place. In order to keep my parquet floor intact, I also got a special colourless transparent mat which is nearly invisible -- smooth rubber-like undersurface to stick to the floor and rough upper surface that provides grip for the chair.

The speciality of the chair is a split backrest that feels as if two big hands were supporting your back. "The back rest wings that move separately and independently from each other the seated position is fully supported. Your body remains flexible and movable and unhealthy pressure is avoided. According to proved information the duo back releases the pressure of the back column up to 50% more than standard backrests" Really nice :) And while we're on it, I also purchased an optional headrest. Feels good, looks cool  :-D The armrests can be turned 360° and up/down and shifted in/out (as in away or closer to the seat).

Here is what I've got: xenium–duo back (mine is black)

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

http://www.rohde-grahl.com/index.php?x-duo_back_en
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Looks like a nice comfortable chair.  :-X

You must have really been tired of that old chair.  For the money this one must have cost you I'd have bought the EVGA Titan and sat on a cardboard box filled with gravel.  :-D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

oh yes.. that would have been my choice, too :-D But really, I only had something that was just a regular chair you'd use with a cheap dining table. It was time I got something good. :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Admittedly Art I've been thinking about my previous comment and the box of gravel would probably be an upgrade from the chair I've used for the last 7 years.  The arms broke off this thing 5 years ago and took the back with them so it's basically a height adjusting stool that over a week or so sinks from its full height to where I hit my chin on the edge of the desk when I sit down.

Anyway I've seen the pictures of your place and the décor that suits your taste.  Considering the clean uncluttered lines and open space you've opted for the cardboard box full of gravel wouldn't suit you at all.

Actually it's perfect for my postmodern destructivism stylings.  :(
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

we're not growing healthier while growing older, mandru, and sitting in front of a PC isn't exactly exercising your body. I was like you but decided to abstain from my postmodern destructivism. I have been lucky with my spine/back so far and I want to keep it that way. Recently I noticed how groggy and shattered I felt after a long session and that it was related to my slumping-down on that unsuitable chair (it wasn't a cheap chair but indeed it belongs to my neither cheap dining table so you know what it looks like, it's in the pic).

I ran out of money finishing my apartment so the office chair was still on my to-do list until now. I am happy I spent money on this chair here as actually I feel better while and after sitting on it.

You don't have to spend that much money on a chair but man, at least get a better one :)

Binnatics

I think you're right Art, in not saving money to your seat. Our body is not made for being seated, so taking some extra care is nothing overdone. I like the design of your chair. I think we have similar chairs at w@&k, although with a normal back panel. The arm rests do look familiar too. Funny that you put so much effort in the ability to NOT ROLL away. Most people want their chair to roll, and see it as an extra luxury, but I get your point with the pedal and all that ;)

I had the same idea, in spending money on my butt-comfort :-D:

[smg id=6017]

This is my €250,- IKEA desk chair with real leather outside. I'm happy with it for almost 3 years now. Of course it can get better, but for now I'm quite comfortable  8)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

nice, your chair looks good to me, and a good price, too :)

Binnatics

Well, yes it is nice, and I could have opted for an additional head-rest, but decided not to. It's kind of ugly, and I wouldn't need it. What I really wanted, was one of those 24-hour chairs they have at my w@&k, at the area where vigilance is present 24 hours a day. Those chairs are massive, like fauteuils on wheels. Excellent, but priceless. I think these kind of chairs cost 2,5 mille at least. :-D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Looks really comfortable  :-X

fragger

Nice chair, Art :-X :) I've learned the hard way that a good ergonomic seat is very important if you spend a fair bit of time at a PC (I can personally attest to the fact that RSI is nothing to be scoffed at...)

This is my sit (as you can see, a new carpet protector is high on my must-get-soon list :-[)

[smg id=6018 align=center width=450]

I've been using this chair for a couple of years now. It cost me an arm but was worth every cent, and is in fact the most comfy chair in the whole house. All leather, with built-in lumbar support. Not just the back but the whole chair can pivot back and forth, and despite the odd shape of the armrests they in fact lend themselves very well to PC use. The shape of the back is such that when I sit back it's like a big hand is cupping me from behind, great lower back and sides support.

I'm very happy with this one. In fact, I sometimes don't want to get out of it :-()

Art Blade

Wow, very nice  :-() Mine does have that side/lumbar support and it too feels like two hands cupping me. Yours looks a lot more comfy than mine  ^-^ :-X

fragger

Cheers mate :)

And on a completely different subject, I gave you a kudo. Not only because you're a good friend, but because I just had to see you hit a three digit figure there! Congrats, Mr. 100 Thumbs-Ups 8) :-X

Art Blade

I noticed that 100 thinking what that might have been for and by whom, just before I read your reply  :laugh:

Excellent. Thanks mate  :) :)

nexor

The only problem I have with my  ?? year old chair, the other day my wife left a 50c coin on the seat, when I sat down I could feel the coin was heads up  :-\\   :-D

fragger

Art Blade

fragger

:laugh:

When you can tell what year the coin was minted, then you really have grounds for concern :-()

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳