Back to Vinyl, CARLOS SANTANA on Sherwood PM9901 Direct Drive Turntable

Started by Art Blade, November 07, 2011, 10:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Now that I have unearthed and dusted off my roughly 1,000+ vinyls (thought I had more but hey, 1k still isn't nothing, is it  :-() ) I wanted something to play it with and ended up buying a sherwood PM 9901 record player.

http://www.sherwood.de/site/sherwood/others/PM9901.html

It is a "cheap little brother" of Technics SL1200 series some of you may remember from your nights out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-drive_turntable

However, today I went to my favourite store where I buy my DVD, BR, CD and PC video games because they still have a section of their store dedicated to.. vinyl. Yes. New stuff. And old stuff freshly re-released.

Which led me to buy Carlos Santana LPs, 1968 vanilla vinyl, 1971, and, and, and.. I spent a lot of money today. Ended up with I don't know how many original Santana LPs that are about 40 years old, rare, yet fresh as can be, no scratches, not second-hand.. new!  ??? Now that shelf is empty. I bought 'em all  >:D

WOO-HOO  :-X :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Fiach

Have a ton of vinyl myself, all only played once (tape recorded them and only used the tapes). They're in the attic with my NAD TT and Tannoy speakers, afraid to take them down til the kids are all grown up.  :'(

Gratz on the purchases mate Santana is an awesome guitarist, I wanted to buy his signature PRS guitar, but got a McCarthy model instead, its more my "sound", kinda like a more musical Les Paul.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

Thanks mate :) Vinyl is coming back :)

More and more artists release their stuff on modern digital media and on vinyl these days, they also honour the w@&k of our disk jockeys (the word implies vinyl) with that nice attitude. Good to see, and I notice a couple of shops here that start selling vinyl again :)

I kind of grew up with Santana, only the records are my parent's property (and probably scratched like a cat's favourite couch) so I am very, very glad to have been able to buy the same albums and more (quite a lot of them my parents simply never had). It is so cool to have those records, some 40 years old, and at least one of those albums is massive: it's got like 4 segments rather than 2 as found in a double album, and even the original oversized posters are in it  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Santana is one of my favorites from the early 1970's - a friend of mine and I used to build 8-foot hydroplanes, and would listen to Santana Abraxas over and over, time and again...

Mr. Santana has a place not far from mine.

Art Blade

nice :) And I know I have "Abraxas" among those I bought today.  :-D

Now you made me check my records bought today:

First Album (with the lion head) "Santana" (and the song "Jingo" hehehe yay)
Abraxas
Caravanserai
Lotus (that's the massive big one)
Santana Mahavishnu John McLaughlin Love Devotion Surrender
Santana 3
Moonflower

Some of them are recently remastered (2010, 2011). :)

fragger

Very nice acquisition, mate :-X :) Vinyl has soul :angel:

I love Santana but I prefer his older stuff to what he's been doing lately. Many others feel the same apparently, judging by what happened the last time I saw him. He tours in Oz quite frequently, far more than most other overseas acts, and I've caught his act five times over the years. Last time was about five years ago at an outdoor concert in Sydney and for the first half of his show he mainly performed his newer stuff (like from the Superstition album), but it was during the second half when he did his classic live favourites such as Black Magic Woman that everybody got up and started bopping around :-()

Art Blade

Hehehe  :-X :-D

As far as I understand what I did (hehe) I got his old stuff. At least that's what I intended to get.   :-()

Art Blade

Quote from: fragger on November 07, 2011, 02:43:33 PMBlack Magic Woman that everybody got up and started bopping around :-()

That song and Oye Como Va are both on the Abraxas album, side 1, song 1 and 2  :-D

Pity you can't hear it but it's playing from vinyl in my living room.

My amp and speakers deliver 7x135 Watts not counting the sub woofer.. you might hear it, actually 8-X  :laugh:

fragger

Sorry, I can't hear you - some guy has his music up too loud :-D

Binnatics

:laugh: :-X

I love Santana. I only have a best of CD collection box, but my dad has at least two original vinyls; Abraxas and Caravanserai. Both I love A LOT! I remember the 'spare hours on the couch' from which I don't remember anything  :-() :-D

I love the music. I'm sure you guys also like Jimi's Band of Gypsy's with Buddy Miles on the mic ^-^
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Dweller_Benthos

Haven't looked at my vinyl collection in a long time, though it is just in the other room on a shelf constructed especially for it. Since it's so heavy, and I couldn't go to the floor with the shelf, I ran 10 foot threaded rods up through the ceiling into the attic where the rods stick up through the floor and have washers and nuts holding them up there.

Anyway, at my place of w@&k, we have several customers who are fairly large "media companies" that do music, movies, etc on CD, DVD, Bluray, and yes, vinyl. Some of them are "high end" vinyl companies that re-release old recordings on new 180 gram vinyl, usually from original source tapes. A lot of these releases also have a code or link to download digital files to have on your mp3 player along with the vinyl copy for your turntable.

Just when you think vinyl is dead, it comes back - can the 8-track be far behind? I hope not, those things sucked so bad.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

fragger

Quote from: Binnatics on November 09, 2011, 02:51:39 PM
...I remember the 'spare hours on the couch' from which I don't remember anything  :-() :-D

:laugh:

I have non-memories like that too :-D

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on November 10, 2011, 10:35:12 AM
Just when you think vinyl is dead, it comes back - can the 8-track be far behind? I hope not, those things sucked so bad.

:) You got that right. I remember all the Joneses rushing out to buy 8-track units - the same people who went in for quadraphonic sound systems and Betamax VCRs ::)

Art Blade

fragger

Tags:
🡱 🡳