MS Outlook

Started by deadman1, May 13, 2010, 12:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadman1

Today I took the plunge and upgraded to Win 7. However since I used MS own file transfer program that they recommended for just such an occasion I thought all of my contacts and saved e-mails would be saved along with everything else. Well it didn´t so now it´s all gone  :D. I don´t know if it´s because I reinstalled Office before restoring the files and settings but gone they are. Now I´m wondering if anyone here knows how I can get them back, if it´s at all possible?

PZ

I've not used the MS setting transfer wizard, so I'm no help there.  Things I'd consider are the following:

• Installing outlook after doing a restore of your old settings might have caused a problem - I lost my data files one time because of the way that Windows automatically handles files in the Documents and settings folder.  In fact, I've moved all of my data files to a different location to circumvent this potential issue.
  • Do you still have the old backup file so you can restore again?  If so, try another restore.
  • In your old Documents and settings folder, you should have a username folder inside which you will find your data files.  Do a search for "outlook.pst" and see what comes up - ensure that Windows is searching hidden files and folders.
Did you do an upgrade of your existing installation or did you do a new one?  If you did a new installation, and did not delete the old installation, you should be able to navigate to the files you need.

Good luck deadman, this is one time you might need it!

deadman1

Dude you rock!!! It never even crossed my mind that I could search for the .pst file  :D You deserve a huge fat thumbs up for that one.  :-X

PZ

My pleasure - hope you find it!  :-X

deadman1

I did find it and all of it is back where it should be.  ;D

Art Blade

cool :)  :-X

I never trust any program when it comes to keeping data when changing an OS. Manual w@&k, and in my case, even a dual boot system with two OS :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

deadman1

Well I´m thinking of doing a format and starting over because I´m having a hard time finding stuff. I have both the new W7 folders AND the old folders with very similar names to serch through when I need something. It´s a mess to be honest and since I have to reinstall most of my games anyway I might as well just bite the bullet. At least now I can do a proper backup of all the things I need to save.

Art Blade

good idea. Maybe you can save some stuff on mem sticks, I recently purchased one with 16GB capacity for 60€ (it's a fast stick) and can store almost everything I need there, temporarily.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Sounds like a format is warranted.  Starting with a clean slate will make your machine run faster.

deadman1

Quote from: Art Blade on May 14, 2010, 08:33:29 AM
good idea. Maybe you can save some stuff on mem sticks, I recently purchased one with 16GB capacity for 60€ (it's a fast stick) and can store almost everything I need there, temporarily.

I bought a 320 GB external drive at the same time as Win 7 so that is now my backup disk :). Btw does anyone know if I can format my C: drive by starting from the Win 7 disk like you were able to do with XP for instance? I´m thinking of going to 64 bit since my system should be able to handle it according to the Win 7 advisor from MS.

Art Blade

I wouldn't format it, I'd create and delete partitions. Windows does the rest on the fly.

deadman1

Quote from: Art Blade on May 14, 2010, 10:30:43 AM
I wouldn't format it, I'd create and delete partitions. Windows does the rest on the fly.

I´m kinda oldschool when it comes to things like that  ;)

Art Blade

;D I'm practical. Why do that (format) when windows wipes out everything by creating a new partition... saves time.

deadman1

Quote from: Art Blade on May 14, 2010, 12:27:48 PM
;D I'm practical. Why do that (format) when windows wipes out everything by creating a new partition... saves time.

Hehe In the end I did what you suggested, I´m now on Win 7 x64 system  ;D

GPFontaine

Since the hard drive used to house a separate OS, and Windows does a quick format when installing, I would suggest running a full checkdisk just to make sure there are no disk errors.

This will be time consuming, but shouldn't cause you any grief.

1) Open the command prompt with admin privileges
2) Run the following command: chkdsk c: /r
3) Press Enter

Agree to reboot the computer if needed.

Let it run and it will verify your disk and make sure that your partition is stable and clean.

Art Blade

Kind of late, GP, but for later references, in case his OS explodes, not bad to return to this topic  ;D ;) Good idea, though  :-X

deadman, welcome to Win7 :) Wow, 64bit... I could have chosen it, but since my PC hosts XP32bit I would have to tell my bios every time I change the OS, so I favoured w7/32.

What version do you run, deadman?

deadman1

@GP thanks for the tip I´ll keep that in mind for when I´m watching a movie or something  :-X

@Art I´m running the Home Premium version.

(now I just need to turn of the spellchecker in Firefox  :D )

Art Blade

alright, deadman  :)

deadman1

Morning all. Just finished installing another 4 Gb of RAM so now I have a nice system an a ton of games to install  . Lucky for the sun is out and it´s 20 degrees so I´ll be on my balcony with a cup of coffe and a good book while my computer works.

PZ

Man, that sounds marvelous - sunny here as well, so I think I'll head to the kitchen to brew a couple of espressos for me and my favorite person.  ;)

Art Blade

Now you made me want to drink a good cup of coffee, too :)

<dashes away to fix a cup>

Tags:
🡱 🡳