See if your computer is blacklisted

Started by PZ, February 24, 2011, 11:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Here's a link to a site that checks your IP address against dozens of anti-spam databases - specifically the email variety where a spammer has compromised your computer to send out spam emails.  I'd recommend that you check your IP address using this tool, and if you see that it has been reported, notify your Internet provider that there are problems with one or more of their dynamically-issued IP addresses.

When a spammer or other Internet bad guy is on the same Internet service as you are, the IP address that he was issued yesterday, moght be issued to you today, which then limits your access to sites that have employed anti-spam measures (like OWG)

http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check

You can also check your IP address against one of the main anti-spam databases OWG uses:

http://www.projecthoneypot.org/search_ip.php

Dweller_Benthos

Cool, everything green here at the w@&k computer, except the ones that are offline. Have to keep this link handy, never know when it might be useful.

One strange thing hit me last night at home though. I'm on dialup there (yes, I know....) anyway, dialing in to the same place I always do, got a weird error a couple times like user not allowed on this domain for something like that. Took a bunch of tries before it connected. What a PITA, once spring gets here I plan on trying to see if I get a decent enough signal for a Verizon wireless data plan. Not the best, but better than dialup.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Verizon's data plan was OK when I used it, but satellite is way better (over 3x faster for me). However the nice thing about the data cards is that they are portable, and allow access from just about anywhere you have cell phone access.  The down side - 5gb/month bandwidth limit.

Were you denied access to OWG when at home on dialup?  ????

nexor

Our broadband sucks, my router is running at 100Mb/s, speedtest show 0.50 Mb/s download and 0.20 Mb/s upload

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: PZ on February 24, 2011, 01:41:49 PM
Verizon's data plan was OK when I used it, but satellite is way better (over 3x faster for me). However the nice thing about the data cards is that they are portable, and allow access from just about anywhere you have cell phone access.  The down side - 5gb/month bandwidth limit.

Were you denied access to OWG when at home on dialup?  ????

I'm not too crazy about satellite, but I do have sat TV, but I'd need another dish and what you get for the price, like $80 a month or so, just doesn't seem worth it. Not that wireless would be much better at $50 a month or so.

I only had problems on dialup the other night and that was actually logging into my ISP, once it did connect, I could access anything, just, you know, really slowly.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

mmosu

I can back listed on two out of the entire list - is that enough to be cause for concern?

PZ

Nah... I checked all of the IP ranges you normally use and you come up clean.  :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳